Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vintage Chair + Annie Sloan + Patchwork

This week I have been working on a vintage set of chairs and table. I absolutely love all things vintage and combine that with some Annie Sloan paint and we get magical results. Some of you know that I wasn't sure about all this hype of Annie Sloan paint. I was a fan of not spending a ton of money to paint a piece but oh my how my heart has changed. What most people don't get is that you really don't spend more to use FANTASTIC paint! It costs less because the coverage is AMAZING!

I choose to use Graphite Annie Sloan Chalk paint over this set of two green chairs. I had picked this set up at the Melrose Flea Market in Los Angeles and so it had already been painted once. I had a different vision for the chair though. I started off with a thin coat of graphite and worked the paint thicker in areas that were not covering as well. I couldn't believe how little paint I actually had to use. Since this already had a layer of paint below the the coat I was painting, I was excited to try the two tone look. I tend to be pretty big on the heavy distressing and knew this chair was gonna just pop.

After I let the paint dry, I went and took my sander to it. As you can see below I allowed the wood to bleed through in areas and left a less distressed look in others. Than I wiped off the dust to reveal my outcome. I went back and forth a couple of times with the sander in different areas till it gave the look I wanted. The beautiful thing about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is it melts away like butter so you don't need to press that hard during sanding. Since this was a dark color palette I choose to use Annie Sloan Clear Wax. I applied just enough to give it a vibrant sheen but not too much where it was over the top and too shiny.

For the seat I decided I wanted to try a mixture of fabrics I had picked up this summer and make a happy little patchwork seat. My sewing skills are not as great as my painting skills so a patchwork that didn't have to be perfect was right up my ally. As you can see below I think this new Vintage
chair has a lot of junk and chic. Perfect in my world.

Thanks for reading and see you next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover Pin It Code